Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lincoln election

"I am a Southern woman, born with revolutionary blood in my veins." I felt hearing the news that Lincoln was now elected president a "national disaster". Lincoln being for the Union side was something I could not accpet for I was Conferdate. I could not accept his victory. It was all a mistake, had John Campbell Breckenridge won, I would have been esctatic.





http://www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/ref/nchistory/oct2005/index.html
http://www.onealwebsite.com/RebelRose/mcmdrose.html

4 comments:

  1. I strongly disagree with you Miss Greenhow. I feel that President Lincoln is the best possible choice for this country. I must truly say that Mister Breckeridge is an unlikely candidate for the position as President.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a tragedy to hear. Realize please that slavery is an immoral, inhumane practice that should be discontinued with the utmost haste. How can you still support Breckenridge knowing another would continue to suffer had he been the victor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree that John Cabell Breckenridge would have been a great candidate, it was inconceivable to believe he would win. With the Democratic party being split as it is, it was almost inevitable that the Republicans would win.

    Now we just have to suffer the consequences and hope we things are changed to dramatically around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please Mrs. Greenhow, look into the possibilities President Lincoln has, don't entirely turn your head away.

    ReplyDelete